Cross Stitch Patterns from Fine Art by Scarlet Quince
 Cart 
 Wish list
     |     
     |     
Check out
     |     
     |     
Wholesale log in
Member services
Scarlet Quince
Solutions
Forums

Parking question


Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Author Topic
Julie T
Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 146
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Parking Answers     Reply with quote  
 
 
3:35 am Jul 13, 2007

Thanks SO much for everyone's input. Yes, my question has been answered. (Yes, everyone's replys made sense in my head too.) I knew I would love this forum (and the group that makes it great). I think I may now be ready to park!
Fabala
Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2005
Posts: 134
Location: Atlanta, GA
    Reply with quote  
 
 
2:30 pm Jul 17, 2007

Glad to hear you found the help you needed, Julie...

Now, if you live in the city, does that mean you have to learn to "parallel park" your threads?? Wink
rifestitch
Member
Joined: 16 May 2005
Posts: 639
Location: North of Atlanta
    Reply with quote  
 
 
7:06 pm Jul 17, 2007

quote:
Originally posted by Fabala
Glad to hear you found the help you needed, Julie...

Now, if you live in the city, does that mean you have to learn to "parallel park" your threads?? Wink


Insert rimshot here.

Groan. Laughing
Alanna
Member
Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Posts: 633
Location: Brisbane, Australia
    Reply with quote  
 
 
1:39 am Jul 18, 2007

quote:
Originally posted by Fabala
... Now, if you live in the city, does that mean you have to learn to "parallel park" your threads?? Wink


There goes Slinky down the stairs! Laughing
Julie T
Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 146
Location: Eugene, Oregon
    Reply with quote  
 
 
1:53 am Jul 18, 2007

"Parallel park" my threads? I do live in a fairly large city, second biggest in the state. But I am fortunate that I drive a really small car, so I think, now that I have recieved all of this valuable (and wisely humorous) advice, I bet I COULD parallel park all those threads!
Fabala
Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2005
Posts: 134
Location: Atlanta, GA
    Reply with quote  
 
 
7:31 pm Jul 18, 2007

quote:
Originally posted by Alanna
quote:
Originally posted by Fabala
... Now, if you live in the city, does that mean you have to learn to "parallel park" your threads?? Wink


There goes Slinky down the stairs! Laughing
Touche!
nkisch
Member
Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Parking     Reply with quote  
 
 
1:38 pm Oct 20, 2007

I am about to embark on a project with more than 90 colors. I had never heard of parking before but am thinking it might work in this case. I would just like to clarify how it works. In my first 1-inch square there are 26 colors, very often just sprinkled around one stitch at a time. As I understand it, I make the first stitch and then bring my needle under the fabric and come up in the next place where that color is used. Then I stitch each succeeding square until I come to that parked color, which I then stitch and then park again at the next place I will use it.

I also park all the other 26 colors that I am using. How do you make sense of all those hanging yarns?

Is there another method for working with so many different colors? Crying or Very sad

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Nikki
Julie T
Member
Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 146
Location: Eugene, Oregon
    Reply with quote  
 
 
1:01 am Oct 21, 2007

May I answer first, and briefly? I don't park every color. Like in your 20something. I wouldn't park them all. I would do as many as I could, complete them if possible and then go on to things you can park. But that's just me.
fenny
Member
Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 192
Location: Israel
    Reply with quote  
 
 
4:22 pm Oct 21, 2007

Never did any parking, but started when I read all the answers and found what could work for me.
Very Happy Stitcherfe thanks for the tip, using a highlight works great for me.I don't park everything and not too many at once,but it's a start.
Happy stitching everyone Stitching
rifestitch
Member
Joined: 16 May 2005
Posts: 639
Location: North of Atlanta
Re: Parking     Reply with quote  
 
 
10:24 am Oct 22, 2007

quote:
Originally posted by nkisch
I am about to embark on a project with more than 90 colors. I had never heard of parking before but am thinking it might work in this case. I would just like to clarify how it works. In my first 1-inch square there are 26 colors, very often just sprinkled around one stitch at a time. As I understand it, I make the first stitch and then bring my needle under the fabric and come up in the next place where that color is used. Then I stitch each succeeding square until I come to that parked color, which I then stitch and then park again at the next place I will use it.

I also park all the other 26 colors that I am using. How do you make sense of all those hanging yarns?

Is there another method for working with so many different colors? Crying or Very sad

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Nikki


I don't think you actually need to "make sense" of the threads hanging down - I will try to explain this as best I can... I pretty much ignore the threads hanging until I get to a block that has something parked in it; if there are threads there, I pick them up and complete my stitch, and then look for the next parking spot.

Now, at the very beginning, I was constantly picking up the colors that go to the symbols to double-check my parking - it took some time to get used to the symbols and colors. But after some time, even if I made a mistake in parking (and I am rarely off by more than one stitch), I usually see it as soon as I get to that spot and can easily correct it. It just takes time to get into the flow of the piece - eventually, if you have something wrong, it ough to stick right out to you. In all reality, if I have a large section with parked threads, I stop looking at the chart before I stitch those threads, as I assume they are correct, so go ahead and stitch them - I look after I stitch them, to know where the next parking spot is. But it took me a few hundred stitches to get that confidence in my parking, and I have some days when I am constatntly doubting what I'm doing - if I'm that tired, I usually don't work on my SQ, I'll pick up something that requires less brain power Smile

Did that help at all? If it's in the hole you're at, and it looks right, go with it; no thinking about it until you look back to see where to park next. Gee, I hope I didn't just muddy up the waters...
  Display posts from past:      

Page 2 of 2
Go to page Previous  1, 2


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
 


Privacy policy | Site map | Member services | | Help
Copyright © 2002-2017 Scarlet Quince™. All rights reserved.