Oh, I feel foolish! I've been working on La Belle Dame Sans Merci for over 2 years and am halfway done. And now I discovered that my fabric is too short to finish the bottom of the pattern, to a page's length. My only solution, other than starting over, is to carefully stitich an additional strip of fabric to the bottom edge. Ultimate lesson learned-measure twice, cut once. And pay attention to the Aida count.
Has anyone else had this dillemma? Any ideas on how to attach additional fabric to the project? Thanks!
Hmmmm, I haven't actually run short before, though I have cut it close on an occasion or two I have since become anal about measuring and remeasuring - and normally have wayyyyy too much - just in case
I don't know if this would work, or not, but maybe if you could line up two pieces exactly so that you could sew down the exact middle of the squares, so when you fold it back out, you still have a whole square - the top half of your existing piece, the bottom half of the add-on. Does that make sense? And then, doing a normal row of stitches on that row would further anchor the two together - but you'd have to trim the seam awfully close on the back, and will still use extra thread to get over the added bulk on the back.
I don't know if that would work, or not, but I would definitely try something so you wouldn't have to stop unfinished, or worse, restart. It would probably look odd until you got done - you will always know it's there, but the casual observer probably wouldn't have any idea unless you told them
I've done this with waste canvas on a sweatshirt. I pieced another waste canvas onto the end & did the stitches connecting the 2 pieces together. The trick is to line them up so the cross stich can go into both pieces. Good luck!
You could try putting a length of lightweight fusible interfacing under the two pieces, but them up edge to edge and carefully fuse them together. I haven't tried this myself but it might work. It wouldn't be as bulky as a seam, anyway. And to make sure it is stable you could weave in some thread every ten or so...
There is a definite noticeable lump when trying to splice the two pieces and once the piece were framed, it wouldn't look very good. I'm going to set it aside and start "Innocence" in the meantime. The fusable fabric seems like a strong possibility and I'll get some next time I get to town. Boy, I sure won't make this mistake again. Two years...down the tubes.