Cross Stitch Patterns from Fine Art by Scarlet Quince
 Cart 
 Wish list
     |     
     |     
Check out
     |     
     |     
Wholesale log in
Member services
Scarlet Quince
Solutions
Forums

Gridding question


Page 1 of 1

Author Topic
cmthmpsn
Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Location: Ontario, Oregon, USA
Gridding question     Reply with quote  
 
 
9:42 pm Feb 03, 2013

OK, after a year of stitching, I am over half done with the SQ free rose pattern. I am gathering my supplies for the next SQ pattern I want to stitch, "The Accolade". I have learned that I like having the grid lines on my fabric, so now I am wondering how I should grid my fabric for this big project. I will be stitching on 22-count ecru Aida.

For my rose pattern, I simply used the smoke "transparent"nylon sewing thread for my grids. I get a lot of yards of gridding thread for little money. Then, while I was out stocking up my tackle box for a Summer fishing trip this past July, I found 4 pound test mono-filament in red, which I think is the same stuff that is sold as "EZ Count Gridline" for a lot more money. But, that 4-pound test line is much thicker than the transparent sewing thread, so I am wondering if it is too big to grid a 22-count fabric? I would definitely not want to stitch over that heavy line, as that would loosen up my stitches. Also, I only have a 27-yard spool of the 4-pound test, which I'm certain won't be enough to grid my whole large project, so I would have to go buy more of it.

Or, as I have recently seen someone post, since that pattern will be totally covering the fabric, should I just draw the grid lines with a very fine pen or pencil? And if I choose to draw the grid lines, what type of pen/pencil should I use that won't adversely affect the fabric in the long term?

Thanks,
Christina
Patricia
Member
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Location: Florida and Ontario
Re: Gridding question     Reply with quote  
 
 
7:09 am Feb 04, 2013

I just use ordinary sewing thread or floss that is left over from kit patterns. I don't grid in complete squares as that is not necessary for me. every other unit of 10 gives me enough guidance. I am workig on Rain Bonnets and find it intriging enough to keepm e working on it. Because it is wider than long, I am wokring on it sideways on scroll bars. Seems to work well for me.

quote:
Originally posted by cmthmpsn
OK, after a year of stitching, I am over half done with the SQ free rose pattern. I am gathering my supplies for the next SQ pattern I want to stitch, "The Accolade". I have learned that I like having the grid lines on my fabric, so now I am wondering how I should grid my fabric for this big project. I will be stitching on 22-count ecru Aida.

For my rose pattern, I simply used the smoke "transparent"nylon sewing thread for my grids. I get a lot of yards of gridding thread for little money. Then, while I was out stocking up my tackle box for a Summer fishing trip this past July, I found 4 pound test mono-filament in red, which I think is the same stuff that is sold as "EZ Count Gridline" for a lot more money. But, that 4-pound test line is much thicker than the transparent sewing thread, so I am wondering if it is too big to grid a 22-count fabric? I would definitely not want to stitch over that heavy line, as that would loosen up my stitches. Also, I only have a 27-yard spool of the 4-pound test, which I'm certain won't be enough to grid my whole large project, so I would have to go buy more of it.

Or, as I have recently seen someone post, since that pattern will be totally covering the fabric, should I just draw the grid lines with a very fine pen or pencil? And if I choose to draw the grid lines, what type of pen/pencil should I use that won't adversely affect the fabric in the long term?

Thanks,
Christina
BarBaraPrz
Member
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Posts: 420
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
    Reply with quote  
 
 
11:38 am Feb 04, 2013

You could use the red to mark out the pages, and the smoke for the interior gridlines...
I pull the gridlines out as I go.
rifestitch
Member
Joined: 16 May 2005
Posts: 639
Location: North of Atlanta
    Reply with quote  
 
 
12:53 pm Feb 04, 2013

On the occasions that I have gridded, I've just used plain ol' sewing thread right off the spool - one color for the 10x10, another color for the page breaks. I do not stitch over it, I pull the thread out for a small area, though leave it there to dangle, so I can pull it back into place if I need a quick reference check. This is on 22ct.

If you intend to stitch OVER the line, I would go as thin as humanly possible, or use fabric marking pens that fade with time - you can find them in sewing notions, not stitching, in my experience. If you used line on 22ct and stitched over it, as tight as it will be, you may not be ABLE to take it out later, especially in a very heavy confetti area.

Just as a side note, I have come to the conclusion that for me, personally, gridding doesn't really give me any benefit, so I am not really likely to ever do it again. I have never gridded a TW, I haven't gridded my HAED pieces, and many years into my SQ project, I literally don't use it, and may just remove it all the next time I adjust the scrolls. I MAY mark just the page boundaries on my next SQ, more as a sanity check to make sure I've got the fabric oriented properly & enough margin Smile

That being said, you might find a method of doing the gridding that works for you, and then do maybe just a partial of your piece, to see if you even like it/use it (I'm assuming you haven't done it before?) Though, if you get one of the pens that fades with time, you'd HAVE to do this anyway, as it would probably just be gone before you finished - I've never used one of those pens, no idea how long it lasts...
BarBaraPrz
Member
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Posts: 420
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
    Reply with quote  
 
 
1:03 pm Feb 04, 2013

quote:
Originally posted by rifestitch
...Though, if you get one of the pens that fades with time, you'd HAVE to do this anyway, as it would probably just be gone before you finished - I've never used one of those pens, no idea how long it lasts...

They don't last very long... maybe an hour?
cmthmpsn
Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 32
Location: Ontario, Oregon, USA
    Reply with quote  
 
 
8:58 pm Feb 04, 2013

quote:
Originally posted by rifestitch
On the occasions that I have gridded, I've just used plain ol' sewing thread right off the spool - one color for the 10x10, another color for the page breaks. I do not stitch over it, I pull the thread out for a small area, though leave it there to dangle, so I can pull it back into place if I need a quick reference check. This is on 22ct.

If you intend to stitch OVER the line, I would go as thin as humanly possible, or use fabric marking pens that fade with time - you can find them in sewing notions, not stitching, in my experience. If you used line on 22ct and stitched over it, as tight as it will be, you may not be ABLE to take it out later, especially in a very heavy confetti area.

Just as a side note, I have come to the conclusion that for me, personally, gridding doesn't really give me any benefit, so I am not really likely to ever do it again. I have never gridded a TW, I haven't gridded my HAED pieces, and many years into my SQ project, I literally don't use it, and may just remove it all the next time I adjust the scrolls. I MAY mark just the page boundaries on my next SQ, more as a sanity check to make sure I've got the fabric oriented properly & enough margin Smile

That being said, you might find a method of doing the gridding that works for you, and then do maybe just a partial of your piece, to see if you even like it/use it (I'm assuming you haven't done it before?) Though, if you get one of the pens that fades with time, you'd HAVE to do this anyway, as it would probably just be gone before you finished - I've never used one of those pens, no idea how long it lasts...


I gridded the free rose, and find it helpful. I used the thin, smoke transparent sewing thread and don't stitch over it, at least not on the top. I manage to stitch under it on the top side, then can still carefully pull it out from the stitching.

Before I learned about gridding, I did a very large wedding sampler for my brother and ended up having to take out half of it because I hadn't gotten the right and left sides exactly lined up. It wasn't until the design met halfway down the sampler that I discovered my error. Being a perfectionist, instead of making some kind of adjustment to overcome the one row disconnect, I frogged the whole right side of the design. I don't want to do that again, so I'm all for gridding.
Patricia
Member
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Location: Florida and Ontario
    Reply with quote  
 
 
7:52 am Feb 05, 2013

Interesting how we al have our own techniques and ways. I grid on anything big or confettied.. (is tht a word?) I too learned the hard way. I find it keeps me on the straight and narrow path. Laughing I keep my pattern right on my working fabric with a magnet. That way I don't have to keep looking everywhere for where I am stitching. I can get lost easily enough.I also color in what I have done. ..
rifestitch
Member
Joined: 16 May 2005
Posts: 639
Location: North of Atlanta
    Reply with quote  
 
 
12:41 pm Feb 05, 2013

quote:
Originally posted by BarBaraPrz
quote:
Originally posted by rifestitch
...Though, if you get one of the pens that fades with time, you'd HAVE to do this anyway, as it would probably just be gone before you finished - I've never used one of those pens, no idea how long it lasts...

They don't last very long... maybe an hour?


Really? An hour? On L&U, I can almost never complete even half of a 10x10 in an hour - there could be 50 or more symbols in that block! If I had to grid, I'd use thread instead of a pen...

But then, as my drafting-teacher father could have told you, I can't draw a straight line even with a straight edge, so there you go Embarassed

I wonder what lasting effects a colored pencil would have? Isn't colored pencil mostly wax? Would it come through the stitching eventually? I don't think a regular graphite pencil would "damage" the piece, but it could discolor it... Hmmm...
BarBaraPrz
Member
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Posts: 420
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
    Reply with quote  
 
 
2:11 pm Feb 05, 2013

I don't grid small pieces, so if I get lost, marking with that pen comes in handy to find my way out. Sort of like a "You are here" , go there, map.
laraine
Member
Joined: 31 Aug 2010
Posts: 45
Location: Carlsbad, NM
    Reply with quote  
 
 
10:06 pm May 07, 2013

[quote="BarBaraPrz"]I don't grid small pieces, so if I get lost, marking with that pen comes in handy to find my way out. Sort of like a "You are here" , go there, map.[/quot I always use "The Fine Line water erasable marking pen on aida. It stays on until you have the whole pattern completed. Just a touch of cold water and it fades completely away. I would never use anything else. I love them. Laraine
  Display posts from past:      

Page 1 of 1


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
 


Privacy policy | Site map | Member services | | Help
Copyright © 2002-2017 Scarlet Quince™. All rights reserved.