Cross Stitch Patterns from Fine Art by Scarlet Quince
 Cart 
 Wish list
     |     
     |     
Check out
     |     
     |     
Wholesale log in
Member services
Scarlet Quince
Solutions
Forums

how long did that take you???


Page 1 of 1

Author Topic
Patricia
Member
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Location: Florida and Ontario
how long did that take you???     Reply with quote  
 
 
6:56 am Apr 09, 2012

Sometimes I am asked how long it took me to complete a piece. I never know as they are done in bits and pieces. I have seen people here say how long they have worked on a piece. Would 1 minute per stich give you a close estimate? Some go fast, slme go slow, some need a "rippit".
rifestitch
Member
Joined: 16 May 2005
Posts: 639
Location: North of Atlanta
    Reply with quote  
 
 
11:32 am Apr 09, 2012

Well, since the majority of my projects can be counted in YEARS, I don't know Smile Though I have never actually "timed" myself, I do know that on some projects (NOT my SQ), I can do a 100-150 stitches an hour (ones where I can do //// then \\\\ - but I so rarely have one of those). But on things like my SQ, 30 an hour is about max. I just can't judge a finish down to anything smaller than weeks - and there's very few of those Smile

About all I can honestly say - as I get asked that all the time, too - is, after looking back at my starting photo's date and the finished photo's date, that I worked on this project between X and X (since I haven't worked on only 1 project in well over a decade). If you are a one-at-a-timer, you can probably narrow it down quite a bit more.

Of course, for me, that question, and then that answer, are usually followed by "You're crazy - I could never do that!" Well, the first is debatable, and the second, well, sure you could, if you really wanted to... Laughing
Patricia
Member
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Location: Florida and Ontario
    Reply with quote  
 
 
2:19 pm Apr 09, 2012

quote:
Originally posted by rifestitch
Well, since the majority of my projects can be counted in YEARS, I don't know Smile Though I have never actually "timed" myself, I do know that on some projects (NOT my SQ), I can do a 100-150 stitches an hour (ones where I can do //// then \\\\ - but I so rarely have one of those). But on things like my SQ, 30 an hour is about max. I just can't judge a finish down to anything smaller than weeks - and there's very few of those Smile

About all I can honestly say - as I get asked that all the time, too - is, after looking back at my starting photo's date and the finished photo's date, that I worked on this project between X and X (since I haven't worked on only 1 project in well over a decade). If you are a one-at-a-timer, you can probably narrow it down quite a bit more.

Of course, for me, that question, and then that answer, are usually followed by "You're crazy - I could never do that!" Well, the first is debatable, and the second, well, sure you could, if you really wanted to... Laughing


Yes, I have many on the go as well. I change when I get a little bored. Some like SQ have a lot of confetti, others are more smooth sailing. Of coursse I have to do a lot of looking and admiring, checking out threads,,etc. . Rolling Eyes Divecat had said she spent 2,500 hrs of Ehret so I just wondered about the time.
I keep a file for all that I am doing and have done. I have a picture with each one. I record the date started, date ended,,and yes sometimes it is years,,. the name of it, who designed it, and what did I do with it after it was framed or who did I give it to. I do golf pillows for my golf group gift exchange and ticket sales. Those don't take too much time, but then I don't seem to get the pillow actually made until crunch time, but I record that too. If I can remember, I record the cost of the pattern and where I got it too.
Guess that sounds like a lot of work but I enjoy the organization and it is all part of "playing" with one of my hobbies.
Tanya2
Member
Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 14
Location: Oswego, NY
    Reply with quote  
 
 
4:44 pm Apr 09, 2012

quote:
Originally posted by Patricia
Guess that sounds like a lot of work but I enjoy the organization and it is all part of "playing" with one of my hobbies.


"Playing" really is the best word for how I organize my stash! Sometimes I decide to look for a particular piece of fabric. skein of silk or pattern. and a couple of hours later there I am on the floor surrounded by all to most of my stash - looking, I am sure, for all the world like a happy toddler in the midst of her toys Very Happy
Patricia
Member
Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Location: Florida and Ontario
    Reply with quote  
 
 
5:21 pm Apr 09, 2012

quote:
Originally posted by Tanya2
quote:
Originally posted by Patricia
Guess that sounds like a lot of work but I enjoy the organization and it is all part of "playing" with one of my hobbies.


"Playing" really is the best word for how I organize my stash! Sometimes I decide to look for a particular piece of fabric. skein of silk or pattern. and a couple of hours later there I am on the floor surrounded by all to most of my stash - looking, I am sure, for all the world like a happy toddler in the midst of her toys Very Happy


Oh so well put. Tanya. Nice to know I am not alone doing this. I get among my patterns, threads, beads, and the time goes by. Hubby just shakes his head, but is very encouraging with my results. I have made a few things for him too. I tell him,, "It keeps me of the streets".. Rolling Eyes
Divecat
Member
Joined: 03 Apr 2008
Posts: 172
Location: England
    Reply with quote  
 
 
4:48 am Apr 10, 2012

quote:
Originally posted by Patricia
It keeps me of the streets".. Rolling Eyes


Laughing Laughing Laughing Although the cost of kitting up Ehret was high, I worked out that it was about 5 per month when you look at how long it takes to finish the piece. What else could you do for that amount which keeps you occupied for hours and hours?

As I said to DH, if I wasn't doing this, I'd be a lot more demanding in terms of doing stuff together Wink

I know I can put the needles down but, you know what, I don't really want to Laughing
woollymammoth
Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 16
Location: Loveland, CO
Re: how long did that take you???     Reply with quote  
 
 
9:30 pm Apr 17, 2012

quote:
Originally posted by Patricia
Sometimes I am asked how long it took me to complete a piece. I never know as they are done in bits and pieces. I have seen people here say how long they have worked on a piece. Would 1 minute per stich give you a close estimate? Some go fast, slme go slow, some need a "rippit".


I never bother to keep track of how long I spend stitching on a project. I take progress photos periodically and save them on my laptop so I can tell when a project was started and finished, but that's all. Since my projects are all BAPs and I currently have 10 WIPs, completion time is in years. Recording the number of hours I spend stitching strikes me as a waste of good stitching time. Others like to log their hours. To each their own.
  Display posts from past:      

Page 1 of 1


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
 


Privacy policy | Site map | Member services | | Help
Copyright © 2002-2017 Scarlet Quince™. All rights reserved.